Thursday, June 24, 2010

June 10th, 2010 -- New York City

We woke up at a reasonable time to try and cram as much as we could into our day. We started out with a walk through Central Park. There were so many bicyclists that it reminded me of Seattle. It really is huge too. We ended up walking along Madison and Park avenues just because the amount of park is overwhelming. The guy who took this picture seemed to be Spanish. I assume so because when I thanked him for taking the picture he said "nothing," which is a literal translation of the shortening of the Spanish "you're welcome": "de nada." The language nerd in me noticed that. :)
Here's a cute little bakery we found, though we did not buy anything. It fits perfectly with my image of NYC.
As did the bevy of street carts and business-type people buying food there.
Here's us in the Museum of Modern Art, including ourselves in a piece of reflective art. The museum had quite a bit of cool art and I was jealous of the students who got to go there on field trip. Ahh to grow up in NYC. However, the fact that I found the gift shop more engaging than the museum either speaks to the quality of the curation of the gift shop or my being a plebeian.
Wandering around NYC takes energy, and we had to replenish that energy with some Italian espresso from Zibetto, a standing-only coffee bar near Times Square. It was very European and I enjoyed feeling so sophisticated. Well, until my cappuccino ran out, that is.
As a foreshadowing of the Condado area in San Juan, we strolled into a fancy hotel and tried not to look like we didn't belong there. The hotel even had a tea room, which I promptly took surreptitious pictures of. Yes, this is how the other half lives.

After that, we wandered into Times Square, which was positively frightening for me. It's a big area blocked off from cars, full of tourists and touristy businesses, surrounded by very tall buildings. It's over-stimulation central. I was glad to be out of there. After that, we wandered around Park and Madison avenues again, window-shopping at the designer stores. We found an awesome accessory shop with just about everything. It was like a Claire's but for customers our age.

Around 5pm we hurried back to our hostel to retrieve our luggage and head off to the airport to catch our flight to San Juan. Here's a view of train tracks at Jamaica station.

Next up in travel blog: Our First Day in San Juan! Architecture! History! Food! Withering Heat! And Much, Much More!

No comments:

Post a Comment